A shift to remote working is likely to wipe off $800 billion from the value of office buildings in major global cities by 2030, according to a study published by consulting firm McKinsey on Thursday.

• 1chemistdown@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Oh NO!! Anyway, I hope we can save several landmark venues where amazing bands play instead of tearing them down for a new mega structure.

• Catch42@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Good. Property values are a necessary evil in our economic system to allocate finite amounts of land. Unlike say the value of a company that makes things, which reflects the utility gained from it’s products, property values mostly represent scarcity, falling property values therefore indicates that we have partially mitigated that scarcity.

• Chozo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m used to there being a “but…” at the end of headlines like these. Where’s the bad news?

• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Ok, the old system wasn’t good for anyone not already rich. I’m it interested in going back to try and save it.

Turn those into high density affordable housing with walkable amenities. I don’t care the cost, the QoL improvement for the citizens is worth it

• SuperIce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Using existing buildings for apartments would be great for the housing markets. For example, a building that used to be used for a TV broadcasting company in SF was turned into pretty nice apartments at relatively reasonable prices. Much better use for the buildings than empty offices.

• morry040@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s not as easy as it first seems. You have to think about what is usually included in an apartment (toilets, sinks, showers, ovens, stovetops, windows, garbage chutes etc) and realise that many of those items will need significant building renovations. Most office suites don’t have bathrooms (there will be one large bathroom in the middle of the building), so separate bathrooms will need to be built for each apartment. No one wants to live in an apartment without windows, so the only parts of the building used for residential will be on the edges of the floor.
        It’s not impossible - but it would require an upfront investment that would then demand a higher price for the property.