Do you track your expenses monthly? Annually? Do you have an app or do you use an excel spreadsheet? Any suggested tools?

I use a spreadsheet and track monthly.

• PlutoniumAcid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You Need A Budget.

Okay, well maybe you don’t but most people benefit from having one. The difference between tracking your expenses and deliberately planning what your money needs to do for you.

There’s a thing called the envelope system, or zero-based budgeting, which basically means helps you assign the moneybags you have now, to the expenses you know you’ll have. “What does this money need to do until I get paid again?” It’s a whole thing, and it works really well.

I don’t know how to link to communities but search for /c/ynab (or if you like, also /r/ynab over on that other site).

• PlutoniumAcid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I agree with you on the price. They say it pays for itself, and I believe that is true, but it is still a high price.

• mapiki@discuss.online
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Agreed. I wish it was cheaper. Although now with YNAB Together my partner and I can share an account and my sister also agreed to have her budget. (I can technically peek as account manager but I’ve promised I won’t and we’re close enough that it’s not an issue.) But now it’s $30/each!