It’s been some time since we received any updates. Will an upgrade to Lemmy 0.19 break the app?

• Bazsalanszky@lemmy.toldi.euM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Don’t worry; the latest version of Eternity is compatible with the upcoming 0.19 Lemmy release.

As for the lack of updates lately, I am very busy at the moment with work/uni stuff. I might be able to spend some time on it during the winter break, but I can’t guarantee anything.

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Guys… is this your first open source software? This question comes up so much.

The people contributing to this are working for free, when they have time. They may not have time all the time. Sometimes it takes a few weeks before even a small addition is made.

The last update was October, the bigger one before that August.

Give it time!

Edit: striked out the first part as it was not appropriate.

• weker01@feddit.de
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

What if it is their first time actively using open source software? Do you realize that this attitude scares people away from foss software?

And it’s not only op. It’s also all the newbies that stumble on this post.

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

What attitude? Explaining that people do not do this as a main job and one cannot expect updates every week? This is how it works on average with non-commercial FOSS projects, we were lucky the dev had time invested when Lemmy got bigger a few months ago and now the app is running mostly fine. So thats when updates get less frequent, unless the dev is able to make the time. How is that a scaring attitude, its reality.

• weker01@feddit.de
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

My criticism is based on your first rhetorical question: “[…] is this your first open source software?”.

That is the attitude I am describing. This rhetoric only works if answering yes to the question is somehow bad. It implicitly excludes newbies and enforces a kind of elitism.

The rest of your comment is totally fine.

• RBG
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Alright, I give you that. I will remove that part.