• BlanketsWithSmallpox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I’ve always wondered why artists don’t cash in and do this themselves.

Do the ones who do just not get popular or is it some sellout thing, or has nobody genuinely tried to do it regularly with their own music?

• sus@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I would guess that, after working on perfecting a song for weeks or months, it feels very weird to completely change it in 2 minutes by applying 2-3 transforms/filters and releasing that as a separate version

• pyrflie@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

They get their cut via Youtube music breakdown. Anything that uses their shit sends a cut to them.

• reev@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’ve seen more and more artists doing this kind of thing themselves lately. I think in the past artists were more upset with people making more successful versions of their songs just by speeding it up and found it would not be as intended if they released it like that themselves.

Plus, saturation is probably something to consider, if you make a sped up, a remix and whatever else for every single song you release your original, thought out pieces will get a little lost in the noise.

• BlanketsWithSmallpox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Yeah what I was thinking of was more on your last point. Especially with digital releases. Seeing three songs back to back for every new track might be okay for legit music push to the world, but it would look like notification hell.

Honestly I think the larger part of it is cultural tradition. How dare you listen to my music and lyrics in the way you like it. It’s meant to be this way!

Por que no los dos?

• autokludge@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

At least one did, it was a great clusterfuck of who ripped who and back n forth versions:

Oliver Tree - Jerk (Sped Up)
      Oliver Tree & Robin Schulz - Miss You (Sped Up)
      Southstar - Miss You (sped up)
      Oliver Tree & Robin Schulz - Miss You
      Southstar - Miss You
      Oliver Tree - Jerk ----------------- original

• Raxiel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I seem to remember buying cd singles back in the day that included remixes of the title track on the disc