Android is my favorite currently, but when I was growing up it was Symbian, comparing it to java it was miles ahead with way more advanced capabilities!

• talizorah@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Windows Phone in the 7/8 era. It felt well composed, all it’s features worked pretty well, and it was fluid and smooth.

Did it have a lot of features? No, but what it had it did well. Once the concept of apps took off hard, it was clear WP wouldn’t get the popular ones, and with Microsoft beefing with Google at the time, the OS lost all its support and died.

• whenlifegivesyoureddit@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My first was Symbian but my favourite will always be Windows phone. I still run square home launcher to get that familiar tile screen on my pixel 6 pro

• herzberd@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I really loved what windows phone was doing before they did the windows 10 merge thing. Just a really nicely constructed UI

• emigoon@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

same here, a windows phone was my first smartphone and to this day I love that UI more than almost anything else since then

• s804@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Never had a windows phone, always wanted one. did it feel like pc windows or it was its own thing?

• s804@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

oh wow i have never heard of maemo, sounds really interesting i will check it out!

• j4yc33@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s a modern-ish fork of it for PinePhone. I haven’t yet tried it, but I intend to!

• MeowdyPardner@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve always been an android person, starting with cyanogenmod back in the day and now lineage, as well as plenty of xda forum unofficial aosp/cyanogen/lineage builds when I had phones that didn’t have great official support. I dabbled with pureos and postmarketos but the app ecosystem is still developing for mobile linux and things like hibernation, modem sleep, and screen off notifications are a bit rocky.

Hopefully someday I’ll be able to use an OS on my phone where I’m not blocked from apps because “we detected you’re rooted even though you’re not, no healthcare app for you” or “no contactless payment unless you’re on a stock rom”

• olrik@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My first “OS” growing up was an old black analog telephone with a ring dial. I got my first mobile phone when I was about 20 years old and it was a simple Samsung with black and white 1" screen and an antenna that popped out. I had my first smartphone many years later.

• Tubeless5812@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

So, I’m going to choose “growing up” to mean “late teenage years” because while mobiles technically existed before then I didn’t know or care what they were.

First phone was a Phillips Savvy. I got it because it was cheap but SMS were 20c each and I didn’t really have a job, so I mostly just called people or messaged people and asked them to call me.

Then I got a second-hand Nokia 5110 which was more expensive but really common. You could buy new plastic fronts/back and swap between them. Great phone but it died when I accidentally broke the screen.

Ok, so the first phone that I loved (even though I didn’t like the design) was an Ericsson A3618 because, even though it was still monophonic, it had a ringtone composer built into it. So I’d sit there making my own weird ringtones… and it had Tetris. So I guess that’s the answer.

The last phone I remember having before getting a Blackberry at work (and by definition far from “growing up”) was a Siemens C55. Polyphonic ringtones, prince of persia… it was pretty cool.

• s804@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

oh wow what a history! i remember my first phone only had one line so to text you had to wait for the screen to slowly scroll, t is so funny now but back then it was revolutionary!

• Timwi@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You make me feel so old, dude. My first handheld device was a Pocket PC in 2000, and I was already grown up by then.

• Timwi@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh lol, well if that counts, then mine too!! I was thinking general-purpose device comparable to a modern smartphone.

• s804@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

thats so cool… it ate so many batteries though and didnt even have backlight haha still love it, and especially the opening nintendo sound

• Timwi@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

My favorite music was the end-credits music of SuperMarioLand. I would play through the whole game just to hear it, and then keep it going on infinite loop until it ran out of battery.