• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    7 months ago

I get that the economy weā€™re in means a bunch of people, like yourself, feel justified in entertaining themselves using whatever means they can afford. Iā€™d be lying if I said I never pirated music when I was a broke highschooler.

But the reality is, if the funding isnā€™t there, it doesnā€™t happen. I donā€™t think DRM is the ethical way to squeeze money out of your audience, nor do I think not compensating people who worked hard to create something you enjoy is the ethical way to consume media.

If you liked it, and you can afford it, pay them a fair price for your experience. Artists are already starving without society having a ā€œcopying isnā€™t stealingā€ mentality. It doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s Netflix, or a busker; youā€™re not paying them for a physical thing that they hand you, youā€™re paying them for the effort they went to craft an experience for you.

• Prunebutt@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      7 months ago

Donā€™t get me wrong: I pay for my indie games and donā€™t have the time for the so-called ā€œtriple-AAAā€ crap.

But the money Iā€™d pay to Netflix or Spotify wonā€™t actually go to the artists who worked on the stuff. Thatā€™s just not how this works.

Most imortantly: I donā€™t want to shame anyone for pay/not paying, as I usually donā€™t know their financial situtation.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        7 months ago

the money Iā€™d pay to Netflix or Spotify wonā€™t actually go to the artists who worked on the stuff

Not enough of the money goes to the artist, but money does go to the artists. If youā€™re not sure, ask literally any artist who has their content featured on netflix, or any of the other platforms.

Money also goes to the marketing team, and software developers, and internationalization teams, and all the other people in the chain who actually do have a purpose and make that artistā€™s content more available to the world than it otherwise would be.

But theyā€™re always going to take more than they should, thatā€™s just called inefficiency, and is where competition can happen. But if itā€™s not generating enough income, the content simply wonā€™t happen.

Which is honestly fine with me, lord knows we have too much garbage on these platforms.

Most imortantly: I donā€™t want to shame anyone for pay/not paying, as I usually donā€™t know their financial situtation.

Totally agree. I felt I was very clear that I myself pirated when I couldnā€™t afford to pay, which is consistent with the belief that you should pay what you can afford.

• Prunebutt@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          7 months ago

Not enough of the money goes to the artist, but money does go to the artists. If youā€™re not sure, ask literally any artist who has their content featured on netflix, or any of the other platforms.

Really depends on the industry. E.g for games: The devs were already payed their salary and usually donā€™t get residuals. Here the money goes to the publisher/studio. As I already said: I pay for the indie games I play singe I want these studios to be able to exist/pay their devs. But the money Iā€™d spend on Call of Duty will mostly go to Bobby Kotick and his shareholders.

Money also goes to the marketing team, and software developers, and internationalization teams, and all the other people in the chain who actually do have a purpose and make that artistā€™s content more available to the world than it otherwise would be.

Those people donā€™t get residuals, but wages. Yes, the money has to come from somewhere. But the animators of a Netflix show Iā€™m watching where already payed. Yes, the people currently working on stuff that will come out in the future still need wages, but letā€™s not forget that most of the money Iā€™d pay will go to shareholders.

But theyā€™re always going to take more than they should, thatā€™s just called inefficiency, and is where competition can happen. But if itā€™s not generating enough income, the content simply wonā€™t happen.

I donā€™t really care for this liberal narrative.

Which is honestly fine with me, lord knows we have too much garbage on these platforms.

So, people who make that ā€œgarbageā€ donā€™t deserve to pay their rent? Either be defending the poor workers or be a market extremist. Pick a lane, my dog.

that you should pay what you can afford.

I donā€™t think people should be ripped off though. Which is what I think is happening with the big platforms.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            Ā·
            7 months ago

But the money Iā€™d spend on Call of Duty will mostly go to Bobby Kotick and his shareholdersā€¦Yes, the people currently working on stuff that will come out in the future still need wages, but letā€™s not forget that most of the money Iā€™d pay will go to shareholders.

Yes, more than should, sure, weā€™re saying the same thing.

And then I said:

But if itā€™s not generating enough income, the content simply wonā€™t happenā€¦Which is honestly fine with me, lord knows we have too much garbage on these platforms.

To which you responded:

So, people who make that ā€œgarbageā€ donā€™t deserve to pay their rent? Either be defending the poor workers or be a market extremist. Pick a lane, my dog.

Which is a textbook straw man. And then thereā€™s this gem:

I donā€™t really care for this liberal narrative.

So yeah, I think weā€™re done here. Bye.

• Prunebutt@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              Ā·
              7 months ago

Why are you mad that I call your stuff about ā€œcompetitionā€ and ā€œinefficienciesā€ a ā€œliberal narrativeā€? Thatā€™s what the liberal market economids are supposed to be. How did you interpret it exactly?

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                Ā·
                7 months ago

You ever find yourself in a discussion where it is abundantly evident that the other person is too ill-equipped to contribute meaningfully to the discussion, but also openly obstinate and reductive in the face of anything they donā€™t understand?

Itā€™s impossible to not be condescending in that situation, Iā€™ve already done it enough, and Iā€™d rather not continue. Cheers.

• Rentlar@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

You make a decent point, but the disconnect between people paying for content and the money going to the people who contributed effort to it is getting wider and wider.

Popular shows that people subscribed for get axed after 1 season or moved to another service. All the work people did for Warner Brothersā€™ Batgirl gets thrown in the trash so that WB can get a tax write-off, before any movie watcher can even give a cent to them in support.

The point is big studios make so much year after year that pirating their stuff doesnā€™t make a dent in whether the people they hire get paid accordingly.

• Saik0@lemmy.saik0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Artists are already starving without society having a ā€œcopying isnā€™t stealingā€ mentality.

If labels didnā€™t take huge chunks of their incomeā€¦ with very little return on their part. Guess whatā€¦

This actually isnā€™t a problem with the consumers, itā€™s a problem with the ā€œproductionā€ side of this equation.

or a busker

A busker doesnā€™t hold my files I create via video recording on my phone of the ā€œeventā€ hostageā€¦ under threat of lawsuit/men with guns beating down my door and taking all my electronics.

youā€™re not paying them for a physical thing that they hand you, youā€™re paying them for the effort they went to craft an experience for you.

No Iā€™m not. Iā€™m paying to own the disc/content. I couldnā€™t give a damn what ā€œexperienceā€ they think theyā€™re creating. But itā€™s in their best interest that the ā€œexperienceā€ is worthwhile so I purchase the next one.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

If labels didnā€™t take huge chunks of their incomeā€¦ with very little return on their part.

That is my point, yes.

This actually isnā€™t a problem with the consumers, itā€™s a problem with the ā€œproductionā€ side of this equation.

It is both. Contrary to the simpliatic worldview of Lemmy/reddit circle jerks, more than one problem can exist.

A busker doesnā€™t hold my files I create via video recording on my phone of the ā€œeventā€ hostageā€¦ under threat of lawsuit/men with guns beating down my door and taking all my electronics.

Again, I donā€™t think DRM is ethical. I also donā€™t think being able to afford to compensate someone, and not compensating them is ethical.

Iā€™m paying to own the disc/content. I couldnā€™t give a damn what ā€œexperienceā€ they think theyā€™re creating

You can go buy blank disks for a fraction of the price of ones with content on them.

You will never own their content, they own the copyright, you do not. Even when you purchase a physical blu-ray disk, you would not be allowed to open a theater and start showing it to people. That is because: You. Do. Not. Own. Their. Content. Ever. Youā€™re only paying for the experience of witnessing it. Just like going to see a play 200+ years ago, just like going to a movie theater today. Youā€™re allowed to be confused about that, but it doesnā€™t change reality.

itā€™s in their best interest that the ā€œexperienceā€ is worthwhile so I purchase the next one.

So you literally do ā€œgive a damnā€ about the experience. Which is it?