No telling who could benefit from knowing this exists. Basically the RSPCA keeps your pets safe while you leave a dangerous situation and until you can sort somewhere else to live.

It’s also not the only program like this. There’s are others and also Pets Of The Homeless, who will temporarily foster your pet/s to give you a chance to get back on your feet and reclaim them.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The behaviour escalated to the point where a marriage counsellor told her to have bags ready to go, and not to leave her young daughter in his care.

Patricia knew she would have to find alternative living arrangements for herself and her daughter but found the prospect of leaving her pets extremely difficult.

She called around various support organisations, eventually finding Safe Beds, a program run by the RSPCA.

The pets are kept at RSPCA shelters, or looked after by volunteer carers in their homes, with any medical expenses covered by the organisation.

Family violence advocacy organisation Engender Equality said abuse against pets was “a common tactic” used by perpetrators to maintain coercive control.

Without the Safe Beds program she would have delayed leaving her abusive partner or considered putting her cats up for adoption.

The original article contains 486 words, the summary contains 135 words. Saved 72%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Pretty much moot when single people are finding it nearly impossible to find emergency and then long term housing.

Friends and family are the way to get help and in that case pets are not that difficult to accommodate.