• katy ✨@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly I will never forgive people who STILL continue to deny climate change is happening and refuse to legilslate on it.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

At this point Don’t Look Up is a documentary. I honestly cannot imagine what it’s like to he a climate scientist who actively studies this, only to have some fox news watching crazy uncle parroting cherry-picked data, thinking they somehow know better than global scientific consensus. I imagine some at this point may be going, “fuck it. Let it burn.” And honestly, I can’t blame them.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

“We all know what to do, but we don’t know how to get re-elected once we have done it.” - Jean-Claude Juncker.

Career politicians will never fix anything. They’re only interested in not rocking the boat and keeping themselves in office.

And the steps we would need to take to fix it would surely not be popular among the masses, even as they sit dying of heatstroke and starvation. People want magic pills that fix problems, and no such thing exists for this.

• billytheid@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You need to see this through the eyes of a psychopath, because those are the ones we’ve put in charge; from their perspective, mass deaths on a global scale mean more resources for them.

Look at the bunkers they’re building… they’re relishing the notion of genocidal control

• cley_faye@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

No, it’s not. If we started large scale changes now, we would have to endure years of terrible condition with the slight hope that things will improve afterward. Saying “it’s too late” equals to saying we’ll have to endure years of terrible condition while expecting even worse afterward. It’s still a bad posture, no matter how you spin it.

• irkli@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Totally correct. We live now, act now. The future remains not determined, but damn right paths and options are rapidly closing.

Probably something like an inhabitable band will form over continents; the US southwest and south gulf, for instance.

All humans won’t die. That’s silly. But very many can, and the rest, degraded.

• billytheid@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The US will be lucky if much survives, as will Europe; once the Gulf Stream breaks down both regions will freeze