I’m having some trouble with suspend not working properly on my laptop, which has one of those Nvidia/Intel hybrid graphics systems. I run Debian 12 on it, with Gnome under Wayland.

Sometimes, my laptop will not go to sleep properly and just stay turned on. However, the screen will be black, and it won’t respond to anything. The only thing I can do in this situation is a hard reset.

I say sometimes, because most of the time it works correctly and I just can’t reproduce this bug. It might happen twice a day, but sometimes it won’t happen for a week. I have a feeling Nvidia is the culprit here, but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this and knows a bit more about what’s going on here?

• @germanatlas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    15 months ago

I had/have this issue too, in my case Discord halts the shutdown. My workaround is just closing (not minimizing, closing!) discord before shutdown.

• @pmk@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    15 months ago

I have a hybrid Intel/Nvidia laptop too. It has never worked right, and I regret getting it. The amount of time I’ve spent troubleshooting graphics issues through the years…

• @mutter9355OP
      link
      15 months ago

Yeah I doubt I will ever get another laptop with hybrid Nvidia/Intel again. Support for it has become a lot better over the years, though. I remember I used to have to log out and back in to switch between the two graphics cards.

Anyway, I found this on the Nvidia forums. The problem described is slightly different, but I think I will try this and just see if it happens ever again.