While they were happy with what the fairphone 4 brought to the table, they seem to like what was changed for the fairphone 5.
What are you guys’ opinions on this? A welcome change? would you get one if your phone died within the next year?

• Mo5560@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I don’t intend on turning this into some sort of fight but to me your comment has big

“I don’t see the problem why can’t other people just have enough money”

vibes (Also I checked and an adapter costs me 12$ on Amazon). I don’t think you intended it this way, so I’ll shut up now.

As to my actual answer:

• Leaving it on headphones is not an option to me (I explained it above)
    • Buying one for every jacket might work, but what do I do in summer?
    • Please correct me on this but afaik it’s not standardized
      • USB output is usually digital, while headphone obviously require an analog signal. I assume the vendors just use certain pins in the USB jack for transmitting the analog signal while keeping the rest grounded.
      • I know for certain that Samsung adapters don’t work on OnePlus phones for example.

I could go on, but there’s honestly no point. We’re different people with different uses for our phones/headphones. I won’t buy a phone without a headphone jack as long as I still have wired headphones.

• fallingcats
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Adapters are literally <5 USD including shipping on AliExpress. At that point it’s not about the price if you’re buying a phone anyways, because the cheap phones haven’t abandoned the aux jack.

Also the digital usb adapters should work on any phone (and computer), unlike the “dumb” ones that trigger the DAC inside the phone (if there is one).