• Juice [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Harlan County, USA is such a good movie. Its fine and cool to be like, “I’m a marxist-leninist-communist” in our little rooms in front of our little screens, but watching a room full of miner’s wives cheer when another gets up and says “We have nothing to lose but our chains!” while participating in self-organized worker’s councils, it really made me reconsider what it means to be communist.

Also, Norma Rae, a movie about labor organizing starring Sally Fields is the only movie I’ve encountered that isn’t on Amazon to stream. I can stream the 4k remaster of Cannibal Holocaust, I can rent the 1988 revisionist Tank film The Beast. But not a good movie with a famous actress, that would be communism to sell that ig

• SerLava [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I heard some podcast a while back where they interviewed a movie writer, who said he pitched some kind of sequel to Death Wish but when the guy’s wife dies of treatable cancer he goes and kills health insurance executives, instead of muggers or whatever.

He said the producers were like “yeah, that would probably sell but we don’t really want to sort of put that idea in people’s heads, you know?”