• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

No government backing, and I can’t use it anywhere. The only way for me to use Cryptocurrency as money in 99.9% of the places I shop is to exchange said crypto for real money.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Money doesn’t predate governments, governments have been around since the earliest tribes, and bartering was the most common way to exchange goods until large governments started issuing currency.

And no, there aren’t. I can’t walk into any store anywhere I have been and buy goods with bitcoin, nor can I use bitcoin on any of the online shops I have ever been to.

• commie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

bartering was the most common way to exchange goods

you clearly haven’t been keeping up with anthropology in the last 20 years. i recommend reading Debt: The First 5,000 Years. i also suggest pirating it if you can: the author is dead. he won’t mind.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

You think that governments didn’t exist thousands of years ago? Governments predate debt and money, by a long shot because guess what, ever since we’ve been tribes we’ve had governments. A tribe is a government.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Why do you think modern governments are the only type of government there has ever been? Tribal governments, elder councils, feudal governments, republics, pharoahs, god-kings, etc… Ever since people have lived in groups they have followed some sort of governance.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  7 months ago

Why do you think modern governments are the only type of government there has ever been?

I never said that.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    7 months ago

Yet you keep acting like it. Currency came well after governments, because you need a government to regulate the value of currency and give it stability.

Bartering existed before currency, perhaps you’re thinking of bartering and confusing it with the idea of money. They are not the same thing in case you weren’t aware.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  7 months ago

That’s not true. plenty of anarchist societies have existed. can you cite a source for your claim that people have always been governed?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

the impression i’m getting is that bitcoin isn’t money to you, but bitcoin is money to some people, so it’s real money.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Yeah, drug dealers. But even they convert it back to real money when they need to buy things.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I can’t walk into any store anywhere I have been and buy goods with bitcoin, nor can I use bitcoin on any of the online shops I have ever been to.

you haven’t been to every store on earth, nor visited every online vendor.