I think making the ownership of larger cars more expensive is probably one of the best ways to make them less attractive to the average driver. Whether parking fees, taxes or other methods are the best way remains to be seen.

• bluGill@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Trucks and SUVs make sense for work purposes. As such the law should consider 'cosmetic. Damage such as dents and scratches normal wear and tear, and companies are not allowed to deduct value for it. Instantly it would be impossible to rent them at the airport. (Uhaul type places still will, but nobody else) leases would also end since they can’t demand perfect condition returns.

• flof@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not in Europe.

Here, businesses and craftsmen use either vans like the VW T4, Renault Master or Ford Transit, or smaller “cargo station wagons”/small vans like VW Caddy, Renault Kangoo etc.

These offer way more practical room on much less traffic space.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And safer for both the occupants and traffic, have lower emissions and better mileage, are cheaper, more versatile…

• bluGill@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

My comment was in respect to US CAFE rules… Europe is different of course.

Having used both vans and trucks in construction I can report their are pros and cons to each with no clear winner for everything.

• flof@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The article was about regulations in Paris, if you switch context or continents, you need to say so.

This is a European van, too. Where does the US truck best it in terms of practicality?