We’re at a great nexus for Lemmy here, with so many users (including me) giving up Reddit for good and moving to the federated universe.

One thing I loved and will miss about Reddit are the sports-related subs I had – large league subs (like NBA and NFL) and smaller team subs.

There are efforts to organize new communities across Lemmy servers (including some on lemmy.world), but I see a great opportunity to start a new server focused on sports and team subs.

Why not just make these communities on an existing server?

My thoughts are – right now there are various team and sports subs across many servers. The natural expectation is eventually one of these team or sports subs will become the main community people will subscribe to. Having a sports-specific server will expedite this process, and will give sports fans a one-stop shop for where to go to subscribe.

My goal would be a server instance people would know is the ‘source’ for the largest sports communities.

Tell me I’m dumb, or provide me constructive feedback, or let’s talk more about setting up a server!

Cheers

• Duffman@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I can’t offer much help unfortunately, but I love this idea. That was one of the main draws to Reddit for me. Chatting it up in GameDay threads was a blast.