• wahming@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

On one hand, Google sucks. On the other, users like this are why we can’t have nice things.

• wahming@monyet.cc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Why not? We live in a society. Fair use and tragedy of the commons are not unknown concepts to us.

• GenderNeutralBro@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Unlimited does not mean “there’s a limit but we won’t tell you what it is until you reach it”. Corporations need to stop using it that way.

It’s really not hard to avoid false advertising. Just tell people what you’re actually prepared to offer. Figure it out before selling it.

• wahming@monyet.cc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

To be fair, I would agree it was false advertising if Google was terminating accounts of large users. However, they ended the entire plan / service, with significant notice, so it’s less ‘false advertising’ and more ‘we can’t afford to do this, because jackasses’.

• papertowels@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

They put users of the entire plan in read only mode with, as far as I can tell, no deadline in sight. When a deadline was finally enforced, it was within a week, which is not significant notice at all for data deletion.

Being told “your data will be read only” and then, without notice, being given a deadline to extricate your data that is physically impossible for most users is not much different from having your account deleted. Both will inevitably have the same outcome.

• wahming@monyet.cc
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

I’m not sure if you’re aware that the unlimited plan was sunsetted two years ago. Two years notice seems like plenty of time to have set up a new backup system. That said, my main and original point is just that this whole incident is a classic example of a tragedy of the commons.

• papertowels@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

So what exactly is your justification for blaming someone for using a service as advertised?

• papertowels@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

According to the concept, should a number of people enjoy unfettered access to a finite, valuable resource such as a pasture, they will tend to over-use it

Emphasis on bold. Seems like they shouldn’t have advertised it as unlimited and should’ve provided a finite cap.

The line shouldn’t be drawn at “wherever I arbitrarily decide due to tragedy of the commons”. If you say it’s unlimited, honor it, or at least let folks graciously exit the platform.

I wonder if the terms and conditions had such a limit tucked away.

• wahming@monyet.cc
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                7 months ago

at least let folks graciously exit the platform.

Are you aware the plan was sunsetted two years ago? How much time do you need to graciously exit?

As for finite, due to the laws of physics there’s obviously a limit. If I try backing up the entire Internet it’s obviously not gonna happen.

• papertowels@lemmy.one
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  7 months ago

Are you aware the plan was sunsetted two years ago? How much time do you need to graciously exit?

Based on the article, it seems like folks were just told that their data would be put into read only. How much notice was given for data deletion?

As for finite, due to the laws of physics there’s obviously a limit. If I try backing up the entire Internet it’s obviously not gonna happen.

How’s a consumer supposed to know the limit if you advertise unlimited? Sounds like an explicit cap should’ve been written into the fine print. Why are you supporting “unlimited, but I will cut you off whenever I feel like it” versus, for example, what cellular plans typically advertise: “unlimited, but you get deprioritized after x gigs”

The former just seems to be not consumer friendly.

• wahming@monyet.cc
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    7 months ago

How much notice was given for data deletion?

Two years? Users were informed the plan ended 2 years ago. Google grandfathered them in until now. If that’s not enough time I don’t know what is.

Why are you supporting “unlimited, but I will cut you off whenever I feel like it” versus, for example, what cellular plans typically advertise: “unlimited, but you get deprioritized after x gigs”

Because that’s not what Google did. When it turned out unlimited was unviable because of jackasses, they terminated the plan for EVERYBODY and moved to explicit storage limits. In other words, exactly what you’re advocating. And they did that two years ago. The journalist affected here was affected because he ignored the limits of the new plan for the last two years.

Google sucks, but in this case what exactly did they do wrong?