On a recent post, there were a lot of comments, which said that they were missing the headphones on newer mobile devices.

How many actually use the headphone jack?

I ask, because I have one on my phone, since I really wanted one, but I rarely use it. Like Tops 1/Month.

• Pixelologist@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Can someone explain to me why phones don’t offer 2 USB-C ports on the top and bottom? It seems to me like that would be the perfect solution. Is this purely about selling bluetooth headphones or is there something else?

• melooone@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I don’t think the cost is the problem, as a usb-c port can be had for less than 3$ for an Individual. I think its more that manufacturers don’t think this is something most people want and therefore doesn’t make sense for them to offer.

• Chobbes@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

It’s also not necessarily that simple. You need space to route the wires for the port… You could potentially do it, but you might not have space for cameras or speakers, for instance. I suspect something like this wouldn’t work for iPhones with Face ID for instance (though maybe you could push the port to the side a bit). It’s probably not worth the compromises for most people, especially since, let’s be honest, USB-C and lightning both suck for headphones anyway. It’s just not a good enough connection in my experience.