https://xkcd.com/2867

Alt text:

It’s not just time zones and leap seconds. SI seconds on Earth are slower because of relativity, so there are time standards for space stuff (TCB, TGC) that use faster SI seconds than UTC/Unix time. T2 - T1 = [God doesn’t know and the Devil isn’t telling.]

• marcos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

From the wikipedia:

TCB ticks faster than clocks on the surface of the Earth by 1.550505 × 10−8 (about 490 milliseconds per year)

It’s amazing that this level of detail is relevant to anything.

• KISSmyOS@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Without considering this, most people wouldn’t be able to drive anywhere they haven’t been before anymore.

• brianorca@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

“Wouldn’t be able to” is a bit of a stretch, since Thomas Maps existed long before GPS. But it wouldn’t be so easy as it is now.

• nilloc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

I was about when I navigated using an AAA TripTik to get my mom and younger brothers through an 1600 mile road trip. We also had AAA guidebooks for along the path when I had to help pick a motel along the way because a torrential rain slowed us down. It was a fun game of figuring out how far it was, whether it had enough stars (mom said at least 2, but the more the better), and the best price.

It was the late 80s though, and I didn’t have a game boy, so it was kinda the only form of entertainment.