https://piped.video/watch?v=V-yO1DcdUFQ

I’m one of those who work 5 days a week to earn a living. We have our vacation days to enjoy whatever we want to do in life, but we still need to go back to work because people like me will struggle in life if we lose our job.

So I’m curious how some people like the guy in the video can travel around the world for almost a year without working. There are also other vloggers out there who left home to go on a travel and they are still young. Do they already have savings enough to support until they retire?

• ohlaph@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Trust fund, wealthy parents, etc. The average person can’t afford to travel like that.

• Treedrake@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Not everyone is American with 1 week PTO and horrendous health care debts or student loans to pay off. In Sweden at least, it’s customary for younger people to take a gap year between high school and university for example, and backpack around the world. With some proper budgeting and staying at hostels, or doing things like Worldpackers where you volunteer at hostels for room and sometimes food, you can travel the world for $10-15k per year easily. If you only do half a year or whatever, it’s really not that much money if you prioritize travelling and saving up before other stuff.

• Sternhammer@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Indeed. I’m Australian and my partner and I did a round-the-world cruise for three months in 2018. We’re not rich, I used my long-service leave to take the time off work. It wasn’t cheap but no regrets, would do it again in a heartbeat.

• bluGill@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Even in America most people don’t have it that bad. Internet forums skew young so you hear about it more, but older Americans generally (not always) have things pretty good.