This is both a review and a petition to the XMR community.

Here’s an overview with some of the pros and cons of 8 VPS hosts: https://simplifiedprivacy.com/vps/

7 of the 8 accept Monero. Only ones personally used by the author were evaluated.

The 8th is Shinjiru and could maybe be convinced into it if they felt there was enough demand to do so. This is Shinjiru’s email below, they offer low prices, good customer service, and have good censorship policies, but only accept fiat or Bitcoin/Ethereum. They’re Malaysian but offer servers all over. Most companies that aren’t US or EU charge more. The general rule is the less developed the area, the MORE expensive the servers because of the infrastructure.

If you’re looking for a neutral country that wants business bad enough to not harass you, while having good enough infrastructure for speed. Then Malaysia is a good choice in my opinion. When you compare them against the 7 other choices on that list, you’ll see the point. Especially if you want no KYC crypto, no-US no-EU, unblocked email ports that are kept off spam lists and offer domains too.

I want you to send them 1 polite email kindly asking them to accept Monero:

support@247livesupport.biz

Do not spam them or harass them, then they’ll look down on us. Just send 1 sincere message that you’d love to buy service if they offer Monero and your reasons. Then please upvote this so we get more people involved.

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Malaysia is not politically neutral, FYI, but for this use-case it’s likely fine. Why not go for providers in the EU?

• mister_monster@monero.town
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I wouldn’t use a server in the EU in general. Maybe in a specific country like Sweden with strong protections, the EU isn’t politically neutral either and is doing everything in it’s power to erode the privacy rights of Europeans.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The point was the equation between cost and privacy. Considering that you shouldn’t really trust any provider and should be utilising as much of encryption as possible, this doesn’t look to be much of a reason

• SummerBreeze@monero.townOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

The EU has:

1. Moved faster than the US towards CBDC tyranny
      2. Digital Services Act which has privacy and censorship concerns
      3. Politicization of Certificate Authorities (Cas)
      4. France banned non-EU VPNs, although it’s not really enforced yet, it’s chilling effect
      5. France jailed people just for using Tor / Tails

In contrast Shinjiru has a good track record on censorship. If you look them up, the only criticism I found is someone complaining they would NOT take down someone else doing copyright infringement. While of course, I can not endorse breaking the law, I do support free speech.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Of course, EU is no haven for free speech. No doubt about it. My point was simply that EU servers might have better prices. Of course, if you don’t care about that, Asia might potentially be a better idea (not Japan or Korea though).

I didn’t know France sent people to jail for using Tails, that’s insane. However, from the POV of a network, how would they even find the person? Unless they happen to operate a significant portion of the TOR network/NSA gave them some juicy exploits

• Saki@monero.town
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

It’s true that the EU is getting “difficult”. Ironically, the US (without GDPR) can be better, where the right to anonymous speech is more or less protected (although, of course, US hosting companies in general are not good for that).

IncogNet is a good example, where you can get a domain anonymously, just like from Njalla but the price being much affordable. Not only that, they’ll set up an onion/I2P version for your website for free. (This is not a recommendation, though. DYOR.)

Floki was once famous but, yeah… they’re getting a bit less popular now after the Covid things. It’s not Iceland and Seychelles based; basically it’s a German company, having servers in Iceland, Finland, Romania, and the Netherlands. Iceland was once very popular, but anymore. Using a .is domain now assuming it’s “safer” is a bit yesterday.

Especially, be aware of France: they’re like “you use encryption because you have something to hide, doing something bad.” Also, you might want to avoid EU domains (.fr etc.) in general: check about NIS2, so called “Thick Whois“ to see what this means. For example, you can’t get a .nl anonymous domain anymore (a recent change); a similar trend being expected soon in other EU registrars/resellers i.e. “domain KYC”.

PS: Incognet is based on Fran’s (Frantech/BuyVM) in Canada, which has been generally trusted and has some good track record. One might want to consider BuyVM etc. too (Not a recommendation, DYOR).

PPS: Incognet accepts xmr, but you can’t do crypto-related things like mining on their servers. A negative point for some of us.

• tusker@monero.town
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Why not go for providers in the EU?

You can go to prison for criticizing some people in the EU, it is the farthest thing from politically neutral.

• tusker@monero.town
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

This server and its admin is located in a nasty communist zone that persecutes people for their speech, it is called care and respect.

Use a real search engine to find out what those groups are if you are ignorant.

• Skittle-chan@social.uden.ai
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

Are you not allowed to criticize the European Commission and Parliament in the EU? Seems like they’re having trouble enforcing that given the amount of criticism of them that happens in the open across the continent. Unless you mean some other group?

• tusker@monero.town
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

You are not allowed to criticize politically protected groups not politicians. Politicians are just punching bags put out by the ruling class to absorb the public’s abuse and anger.

People are getting brutalized by the state’s low intelligence enforcers if they dare criticize these groups.

Like I already said, use a real search engine to find out who those groups are.

• VolunTerry@monero.town
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

If you’re on Monero or privacy instances and acting in good faith, you would not be so combative and express a genuine wish to learn.

But if you really want us to believe you can’t see it with your own senses at this point then I’m leaning toward you simply acting in bad faith here and not worth wasting the time on. Seems like a troll.