Like what does sand sculpture mean? How the fuck is porcelain related to the situation? Why does everyone mention wives so much? What is grass?

• qwename@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The first phrase, “sand sculpture” or 沙雕 is a homophone (similar pronunciation, different meaning) for 傻屌 (literally means stupid dick), but just like how “fuck” is censored/filtered, people use homophones to evade such censors. By the way, “沙雕” is interpreted as “sand eagle” (one might even say desert eagle) rather than “sand sculpture” when using it to call others stupid.

As for the other two, I’m not quite sure what you’re looking at.

• DeHuq2@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was translating comments on bilibili, I think “wife” could refer to the creator of the video? At least thats that I got from the context. Could “沙雕” be translated as a shitpost?

• qwename@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Sorry for the late response, I didn’t get any notifications. “沙雕图” usually refers to funny gifs or images, “沙雕(帖/贴)” could mean stupid or funny posts. “梗” can be translated into memes, so “梗图” refers to meme images.

As for shitposts, I would say “水贴” comes pretty close to the meaning. “水” or water means “low quality” when used to describe something, like “水货” (low quality goods), “水贴” (low quality posts).

Regarding the usage of “wife”, some people like to call public figures that they follow by the term “wife/husband”, this includes video creators. It’s a part of fan/idol culture, the Japanese equivalent “waifu” is similar in this regard.

• Inbrededcanadian@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Grass 草 or even 艹 is just fuck because they sound the same, porcelain probably refering to accident scams originating from ancient China when scammer would run into people with cheap porcelain vase and claim they were expensive.

• fruityloop@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

deepl may give you better results. i’ve compared it with gtranslate for a few languages and it’s usually better at slang.