• Emotional_Series7814@kbin.melroy.orgOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I was super intimidated by cabling, but I tried it for the first time and it is nowhere near as hard as I thought it was! The only difficult thing I need to deal with is accounting for how it changes up the gauge. I used this article with photo diagrams to help me, as well as a tiny portion of this video.

I do not have the patience for videos. I just needed to see the process of how you work the stitches on the cable needle off of it: after you slide the stitches on from, say, the right, do you slide them back up the right and work them off from there, orienting the cable needle as needed so you can do so? Or do you slide them up the left instead? The article would not tell me, so I was forced to resort to the video. I did not watch past 4:12. The answer I use now is “whatever you have to do to knit them in the same order you’d knit them if you left them on the regular, non-cable needle”.

Fully aware I am nowhere near the best knitter here, but still proud of the new technique.

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.eeM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

You should be proud! Knitting is not a competitive sport (well it probably is somewhere), and I think you’d be hard pressed to find any one of us here who doesn’t love to see people learning new stuff.

Cables look a lot more complicated than they are, so a lot of people find them very intimidating and go a long way in their knitting career without daring to take the plunge. But you did it! And it looks like you’ve got the hang of it pretty easily too, once you found the info in the format you need. Nice one!

• IndiBrony@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Not a knitter myself. Came across this on my “all” feed. Just dropping in to say they look great! Keep up the good work 💪