• the_doolittle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I’ve conditioned myself fully by this point to only use the clock on the stove as an indicator of whether my power has or has not gone out

• TJA!@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

How often does your power go out? Why can’t you be bothered to set the time every ~10 years that probably happens?

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Personally, where I live now, my power has gone out in the last five years more often than the rest of my life combined. I’m in my mid 30s.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

I live in a rented house, it’s a double bungalow style with a lovely family attached. During COVID our power was out for three days straight. It was wild. Luckily I have a car that I can waste tons of gas to charge my things with (also luckily it has like seven USB ports), and also some battery packs that can charge things.

Went out and got tons of ice to put in the refrigerator and freezer and cooler.

Set up our iPad connected to our phone as a hot spot and watched YMS play Jump King for all three days. It was wonderful. I miss being NEETs.

• jol
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I guess you haven’t cleaned your microwave in 10 years or had to do any electrical maintenance in the kitchen.

• TJA!@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

My microwave does not have a digital timer. And yes, over the ~9 years I am living in my current flat, I did not have to do any electrical maintenance. Do you have to do that regularly?

• the_doolittle@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I’ll have momentary power losses probably once or twice per quarter, depending on bad thunderstorms or nearby construction, things that happen worldwide and affect power grids indiscriminately.

I do set my stove clock, I just ironically find it more useful to not improve it in this ridiculously simple way because it’s a good indicator of whether my home has had a power outage. Lol