This article was written in the sense of bashing gnome but yet some points seem to be valid. It explains the history of gtk 1 to 4 and the influence of gnome in gtk. I’m not saying gnome is bad here, instead I find this an interesting to read and I’m sharing it.

• meteokr@community.adiquaints.moe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

No amount of polishing that turd will make me ignore the fundamental user unfriendliness that is nested text drop-downs.

Can you give me an example of this? From my perspective, using something like Kate, the extremely user friendly experience of discovery is vastly better than something like vi. In Kate, I appreciate the discoverability of having a list of options. I recently learned it can interact with LSP’s because of the menus. I don’t use it for that all that much, but it was cool to even know it could do that. Maybe vi is bad comparison, but off the top of my head GTK apps just have the hamburger menu, that then opens up the list of text menu options. Seems like its just hiding the option menus by nesting them in an additional layer of a button.

For the record, I haven’t used a windows computer as anything more than an appliance in over a decade, so maybe the influence is lost on me.