• JustUseMint@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

It’s scary enough that we have one skeleton inside and now I have to worry about the potential for two of them?! How am I supposed to sleep

• Technus@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

What about people who have had limbs amputated?

Do teeth count as part of the skeleton? If you’ve lost teeth do you only have 99% of a skeleton left?

According to this, bones don’t start forming until the sixth or seventh week of gestation, so does the fetus technically not have a skeleton before then?

So many questions

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

so does the fetus technically not have a skeleton before then?

The cartilaginous pre-bones would still be a skeleton. Sharks have skeletons, but don’t have any bones for example.

• Instigate@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’d argue teeth aren’t skeleton because they’re not made of the same substance as bone - the outside is enamel and dentin whereas bones are collagen, protein and minerals (mostly calcium). Kinda like how hair and nails don’t count because they’re made of keratin.

• jwhardcastle@dmv.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Everyone else is failing to count the number of babies (140 million per year) nearly all of whom have 100% complete skeletons and set that against the number of amputations of perhaps a few percentage points across a much smaller number of people annually (“more than 1 million annually”).

• uphillbothways@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Aren’t babies cartilaginous at birth? Guess it’s still a skeleton as it is a structural frame, even if it’s not made out of bones yet.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

That is clearly a ball of some sort, possible fairly heavy as she uses two hands to hold it in place.

• LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m sorry to burst everyone’s bubble but this doesn’t make sense. The average person is not pregnant. Therefore the average person does not have more than one skeleton in their body.

• Raab@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s the average amount, meaning that if one person out of the entire world was pregnant, the average would be technically more than one, even in the slightest degree.

• AFaithfulNihilist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I think even on balance, considering fractions of skeletons in whole people, you’re going to end up with more than one skeleton per person despite some of those people missing bones or limbs.

It’s like one sixth of a percent more than 1:1 if there are 135 million babies born each year on earth, but that’s not nothing.

• Raab@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Yeah that’s kinda the point I was getting at. With a baseline of 1 and the 100% probability of 1 person out of 8 billion being pregnant, it will always technically be more than 1.