• davel [he/him]@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

For those unaware of Google’s latest web browser malarkey: Web Environment Integrity

EFF/Cory Doctorow/Jacob Hoffman-Andrews: Your Computer Should Say What You Tell It To Say

Google is adding code to Chrome that will send tamper-proof information about your operating system and other software, and share it with websites. Google says this will reduce ad fraud. In practice, it reduces your control over your own computer, and is likely to mean that some websites will block access for everyone who’s not using an “approved” operating system and browser. It also raises the barrier to entry for new browsers, something Google employees acknowledged in an unofficial explainer for the new feature, Web Environment Integrity (WEI).

• TheFriendlyArtificer@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I genuinely want Gopher back.

I want to share information and to communicate. I don’t want every bowel movement tracked and monetizes. I don’t want 30 cross site requests when going to a news site. A single story should not require 10MB of JavaScript libraries.

I have no doubt that most of the authors of the original internet are aghast at what their high-minded creation has itself created.