Don’t get me wrong. I love Linux and FOSS. I have been using and installing distros on my own since I was 12. Now that I’m working in tech-related positions, after the Reddit migration happened, etc. I recovered my interest in all the Linux environment. I use Ubuntu as my main operating system in my Desktop, but I always end up feeling very limited. There’s always software I can’t use properly (and not just Windows stuff), some stuff badly configured with weird error messages… last time I was not able to even use the apt command. Sometimes I lack time and energy for troubleshooting and sometimes I just fail at it.

I usually end up in need of redoing a fresh install until it breaks up again. Maybe Linux is not good for beginners working full time? Maybe we should do something like that Cisco course that teaches you the basic commands?

• Cypher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

This is oft repeated but is short sighted, it is NOT that people do not want to think, it is that they don’t have the time and energy to constantly fight their devices to perform simple tasks.

• Cypher@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

On the flip side try to get Linux to play back audio at above 48,000 Hz without breaking absolutely everything that isn’t already at the desired sample rate.

In Windows it is 5 clicks.

• aski3252@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The few times a have some minor issue on linux, it is probably audio related or related to working with multiple different screens with different refresh rates, resolutions, etc, so you probably have a point.

However, I did have various issues with audio and multiple screens on windows as well, I would say even more frequently. However, on windows those issues were generally resolved after a restart, on linux I actually had to do some troubleshooting.

• Cypher@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Attacking people because there are valid criticisms of Linux, which you haven’t refuted at all, shows how utterly stupid you are.

Yes there are valid criticisms of Windows. No that does not give you a pass to attack people who use it, they have made their own choice.

One device, which you admit works with the correct drivers, doesn’t remotely compare to a glaring flaw with audio that I can find first mentioned in 2002 still impacting Linux today.

• meat_popsicle@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

It goes both ways, that’s what Windows plebs don’t understand. All the issues Windows plebs …

Does it make you a patrician to use Linux? Are you a father figure now to society?

We plebeians are just waiting on your glory to shine upon us, o high one.

• Tar_alcaran@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Try something simple in Windows like setting custom keyboard shortcuts… insanely frustrating.

You can set macro’s under Mouse and Keyboard center (though only in win11, welcome to 1995 Microsoft!) You can set a keyboard shortcut for a program under a shortcut’s properties (since at least a couple of editions ago).

• vaidooryam@mastodon.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

@somedaysoon @Cypher MS powertools allows some of those stuff, though not nearly as well. AHK is every easy to setup and get into even compared to some of the linux equivalents.

It goes either ways and one needs to find the way to make it work on either system. Often she exact same approach might not work in both.

• aski3252@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

it is that they don’t have the time and energy to constantly fight their devices to perform simple tasks.

Nobody wants to constantly fight their devices to perform simple tasks, but that’s exactly the reason why I almost exclusively use linux and get incredibly annoyed when I have to use windows (for business reasons)…

Sure, linux based systems often take up more time until you find the right system for your needs and for your hardware, you will have some effort to find alternatives to some software that you might be used to and depending on what software you need, linux just won’t be an option for you, but once that everything is set up, at least in my personal experience, things run a lot more consistently and expectedly in my personal experience.

Maybe it’s just me, maybe I’m just lucky, but I have been using linux exclusively for about 3 years now on a desktop, multiple laptops and obviously servers. Have I experienced any issues? Yes, there were small issues from time to time, but nothing that I would not have with windows. But in terms of day to day operations and performing basic tasks, linux has been the superior user experience for me without a doubt.

I used to believe that linux is great for servers, and sucks for desktops and laptops, but ever since I made the switch, I have completely changed my mind. I still use windows because I have to, but the most annoying part of switching to linux was that windows has become even more annoying to use.