Don’t get me wrong. I love Linux and FOSS. I have been using and installing distros on my own since I was 12. Now that I’m working in tech-related positions, after the Reddit migration happened, etc. I recovered my interest in all the Linux environment. I use Ubuntu as my main operating system in my Desktop, but I always end up feeling very limited. There’s always software I can’t use properly (and not just Windows stuff), some stuff badly configured with weird error messages… last time I was not able to even use the apt command. Sometimes I lack time and energy for troubleshooting and sometimes I just fail at it.

I usually end up in need of redoing a fresh install until it breaks up again. Maybe Linux is not good for beginners working full time? Maybe we should do something like that Cisco course that teaches you the basic commands?

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

This is always a hilarious conversation because the diehard Linux users will lie up and down about how Linux has no problems and it’s just you that’s too dumb to understand how to use it.

• NathanUp@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Initial setup can be hard, and then, because GNU/Linux lets you do whatever you want, It’s not hard to bork the system if you’re using commands you don’t understand. The biggest realization for me was that if I want a stable system, I can’t expect to experiment with it / customize it to the nth degree unless I have a robust rollback / recovery solution like timeshift in place. Feeling very empowered after leaving windows, I have destroyed many systems, but truly, if you set up your system and then leave it alone, these days it’s not difficult to have a good experience.

But yea, you’re totally right: the userbase can be toxic AF, and there’s no one place you can go to learn the basics you really ought to know.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Initial setup can be hard, and then, because GNU/Linux lets you do whatever you want, It’s not hard to bork the system if you’re using commands you don’t understand.

But it borks itself. It doesn’t require my assistance.

• rocketeer8015
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Nope, it doesn’t. It always requires human assistance or random hardware failure. It’s either the user, the distro, package maintainer or upstream fucking up.

Personally I blame half on users for picking the wrong distro(not suited for beginners) and half on the linux community giving poor advice(use the terminal). Not everyone has the time or inclination to become a power user and if people wouldn’t be so thickheaded and recommending the same problematic distros over and over to these people it wouldn’t be such a mess.

I have a 80 year old neighbour whose old windows laptop was a mess and who was open to trying a new OS(because he couldn’t operate windows either anyway). I setup a MicroOS system for him, put a taskbar extension on it and showed him how to install software from gnome-software(which only has flatpaks). ZERO problems in half a year. He doesn’t have to do anything nor learn anything. He happily installed some card games, reads the few websites he follows and that’s it.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Nope, it doesn’t.

Yep…it does.

It’s either the user, the distro, package maintainer or upstream fucking up.

Yes that’s what I’m referring to.

• rocketeer8015
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

So it’s people borking it and not the “system itself”. You have control over which people are involved in the software on your system ne it affects the likelihood of it ending up borked.

• NathanUp@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Agreed, you get to pick between a system that empowers you to do whatever you like, or an unborkable system. If you need something that won’t let you shoot yourself in the foot, you ought to be using an immutable distro.

For ages I blamed GNU/Linux for breaking when I was unknowingly causing issues. These days, I don’t fix what isn’t broken, and if I can’t help myself, I make sure I understand what I’m doing, write down any changes I make, and ensure I have a snapshot ready in case things don’t work out.

GNU/Linux may not exclusively be for advanced users anymore, but system customization still is.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Agreed, you get to pick between a system that empowers you to do whatever you like, or an unborkable system.

Yeah that’s not true. There is no such thing as an “unborkable” system. There are, however, systems that aren’t often borked by their developers, and systems that are easy or intuitive to fix when they do become borked, or systems that quickly ship a fix when they do become “borked” (this is Windows BTW).

The implication that any “borked” Linux install was somehow self-inflicted by the user is ridiculous.

• VonVoelksen
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

No, no OS “borks” itself. You just didnt realise what you did and why it borked your system in the end. This happens to Windows-Users too. I ended up reinstalling so many Windows machines and the user always told me they didnt do anything. I use Linux for about three years now and had to reinstall several times, because I made mistakes I couldn`t identify as mistakes at that moment. Sometimes Linux is complicated and you have to search for a solution. If you would have used Linux your whole life an switched to Windows, your experience would be very similar.

• Dariusmiles2123@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I can’t agree as it happened to me quite a few times. The system updates, some things don’t work anymore. I turn off the computer, reboot it the next day and it works. All of that without doing anything myself.

Still, I love Linux and don’t picture myself going back to windows for my home computer. I just think we shouldn’t say Linux is perfect and the rest is shit.

• s20@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Hey, the other day I set up a fresh Arch install in like an hour; it was easy as hell with Arch Installer in its current state. But that’s me - I’ve been running Linux for a while, so i might be a bit out of touch with what new folks have issues with.

That said, I think a lot of problems new users have with Linux really do come down to foolish mistakes, an unwillingness to read manuals, expecting Linux to work like Windows/Mac, or a combination of the above.
      Not all problems, but many.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Setting is up is always easy. Having it do what you need it to, day in and day out, without fail, is the hard part.