Don’t get me wrong. I love Linux and FOSS. I have been using and installing distros on my own since I was 12. Now that I’m working in tech-related positions, after the Reddit migration happened, etc. I recovered my interest in all the Linux environment. I use Ubuntu as my main operating system in my Desktop, but I always end up feeling very limited. There’s always software I can’t use properly (and not just Windows stuff), some stuff badly configured with weird error messages… last time I was not able to even use the apt command. Sometimes I lack time and energy for troubleshooting and sometimes I just fail at it.

I usually end up in need of redoing a fresh install until it breaks up again. Maybe Linux is not good for beginners working full time? Maybe we should do something like that Cisco course that teaches you the basic commands?

• aski3252@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use Ubuntu as my main operating system in my Desktop, but I always end up feeling very limited.

I used to use Ubuntu for a long time and had a similar experience where there were constantly annoying issues. I have since distrohopped around and ended up with fedora, which even though it is a more cutting edge distro, the experience has been a lot smoother and more stable, even compared to windows.

Maybe Linux is not good for beginners working full time?

I mean any OS takes time until you get fully into it and I would say Linux does take maybe a little more effort simply because there are more options in terms of pretty much everything. First, you need to be familiar with the concept of having different distros and be familiar with the differences between distros. Then you need to actually figure out how to install a new OS, which can be tricky to most people who are not that familiar with IT.

Another thing is that an experience with an OS can depend largely based on what hardware you are using. That’s why apple strictly controls the hardware on which their OS can run on. Microsoft has also started restricting this slightly. Linux goes the complete opposite direction by trying to allow running linux on any possible system.

• booklovero@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

A normal person should not have to deal with different distros. The difference in many distros is so small, people don’t even notice. People care about the desktop environment. I started with ubuntu and if ubuntu wouldn’t have ten thousand different ways of installing apps, and oftentimes you have to use the method the dev chose, I wouldn’t have distro hopped until I got to fedora. Fedora is amazing but a normal end user who browses the web won’t notice a big difference between the systems.

To run linux on a banana, you have to adapt it. To run macos on a banana, you have to crack it and fiddle around and get a psychiatrist and work on it full time. Linux makes it easier for you. Apple forbids you to install it on a banana. Fuck apple.

• aski3252@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

A normal person should not have to deal with different distros.

Ideally, clients would get shipped with linux of course, but at the moment, that’s hardly an option. There could also be value in having clients shipped with different distros installed.

Apple forbids you to install it on a banana. Fuck apple.

For this reason I would never buy an apple device again. However, I do see the value of having a super stable and controlled environment where it is super hard for users to fuck things up.