Title says pretty much all there is. Im just getting started in this and don’t want to go too crazy. Im willing to go as high as $250 right now which, when i look around, i know isn’t gonna get me anything absolutely amazing but hey back off im an instacart driver lol

• ninjan@lemmy.mildgrim.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

DIY is the way to go. Buying NAS hardware makes 0 sense imo unless we’re talking (used) SMB / Enterprise stuff. Used computer parts including a mitx board with 4 sats headers and a case that can hold 4 drives is a perfect starter. With drives up to 20 TB being rather affordable per TB these days you can get 40 TB of usable space on a RAID 10. That won’t fit in the $250 budget of course, but you could start with smaller drives or, as I do, forgo RAID for now because all I store is media I can redownload anyway.

The cheapest solution if you want the most basic of starters is an old cheap used NUC with a 3.5" drive slot that you can slap an as big a drive in as you can afford and then go down the more proper DIY NAS build.

• ninjan@lemmy.mildgrim.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Right, there’s only 2.5" bay ones standard. There are third party cases with 3.5" support. Though I guess 2.5" HDD works fine as well. At least 5 TB drives can be found for that form factor.