With the number of people concerned about privacy, it is a wonder why chrome is even popular.

• busturn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For me Firefox has some showstoppers that Mozilla doesn’t seem too interested in fixing (tablet ui on Android, lack of share target support for pwas). I’m not some hater mind you, I want it to succeed.

• laser@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

And, crucially, security. It is far behind, on desktop and especially mobile. Process isolation aka sandboxing is superior on Chrome platforms. Unfortunately.

• busturn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Security is also something I worry about with 3rd party chromuim browsers. Chrome and Edge are probably getting patches the day they come out, but even brave seems to be lagging a bit behind.
        TBH with Firefox’s falling market share I wonder if it’s more secure in a way that there’s less security research from either white- or blackhats.

• Molecular0079@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Didn’t they roll out per-tab Fission now? Looking at Firefox’s built in task manager I can see each tab in its own process.

• limelight79@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Huh. I had an iPad until sometime last year so maybe this happened before that. I honestly haven’t minded the mobile interface for it, but I see how that interface would be nice to have.

Unfortunately, Android tablets are NOT well supported in many applications. Facebook is a train wreck, jumping back and forth between phone mode and full screen, and crashing (or jumping back to the top of the feed) when I click on certain things - like any Facebook Marketplace item. And it occasionally completely crashes. Many apps are “phone mode” only, but at least those work, even if they’re not visually efficient - this included many reddit apps. Jerboa is working well, at least, though it’s essentially a widescreen phone app. (I’m hoping Boost for Lemmy comes soon. That’s what I used for reddit.)

I honestly am not sure I’d buy another Android tablet right now. The lack of support is irritating sometimes. I know I’d be contributing to the issue by not using Android, but…