With the number of people concerned about privacy, it is a wonder why chrome is even popular.

• Reziarfg@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I have one thing keeping me from moving back to Firefox. I use Chrome profiles extensively to separate my various client access sessions that I need to do my job. So I need a solution in Firefox that allows me to have separate profiles with separate sessions. I’ve tried Firefox profiles but those are so much clunkier to setup and switch between. Also there’s no way I’ve found to get the Firefox profiles to be in separate color-coded windows like Chrome does so I have to look through all my open windows to find the one for the specific client I’m working with.

If someone can solve this I’ll switch back to Firefox immediately.

• Reziarfg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

This (and the other suggestions below) are what I’ve tried previously.

It’s close but Google’s got the native solution and the “window-level” containers that have individual per-container icons make it much easier for me to sort my sessions. Unfortunately it looks like Firefox still has them relegated to a single taskbar item. I guess this is necessary since container tabs can be moved between windows unlike Chrome which draws a hard line between windows. I guess this is just the method Firefox went with but it makes my processes a lot more difficult.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give it another go and check out ungoogled Chromium as well.

• Einar@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I just launch Firefox with this option:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -ProfileManager

Always launches with the profile selector. Then install a profile switcher extension. Done.

Unfortuntaley 1) it doesn’t really come out of the box and 2) the extension must be installed on every single profile. Not the most obvious or user friendly.