Does anyone else have multiple accounts while looking for new reddit alts? So far I’ve got accounts on Lemmy, kbin, and Squabbles and I’ve been lurking on Raddle, Sqwok, and Tildes from the outside.

Also, man, that sentence is just the most 2023 statement ever. “Raddle” … “Sqwok” … “Lemmy” … None of these sound like real things. What even is this timeline we’re in…

• havok@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Speaking about assuming things about people, don’t assume everyone is an English native. In some other languages there is no gender-neutral equivalent and instead the normal and expected way to address a stranger is by using male pronouns. Reacting aggressively instead of just politely correcting someone is the difference between making someone have a positive or a negative opinion on a given topic.

• cschreib@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Being a non-native speaker doesn’t help, for sure, but one can learn. Point in fact: I’m french :) And as a non-native speaker, I find it great that English has well-known gender neutral pronouns, so I’m more than happy to use them. I wish French had one so commonly accepted as “they” and “it”.

Also I don’t know if you refer to my post as aggressive, but if so I’d appreciate if you could tell me why. I haven’t called anyone names, and I think I responded respectfully to the OP.