After the (temporary) defederation announcement of earlier i checked the Lemmy repo to see if there was already a ticket on the federation limiting option like Mastodon’s that people mentioned Lemmy doesn’t yet have. Not only i didn’t find it, i also saw that there’s about 200+ open tickets of variable importance. Also saw that it’s maintained mostly by the two main devs, the difference in commits between them and even the next contributors is vast. This is normal and in other circumstances it’d grow organically, but considering the huge influx of users lately, which will likely take months to slow down, they just don’t have the same time to invest on this, and many things risk being neglected. I’m a sysadmin, haven’t coded anything big in at least a decade and a half beyond small helper scripts in Bash or Python, and haven’t ever touched Rust, so can’t help there, but maybe some of you Rust aficionados can give some time to help essentially all of Lemmy. The same can be said of Kbin of course, although that’s PHP, and there is exacerbated by it being just the single dev.

• Slashzero@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I still use PHP extensively for a lot of my projects at work. It’s my favorite language.

I’ve been experimenting with rewriting one of my UI based reporting tools with Laravel (moving from slim/twig).

The fact kbin uses PHP piqued my interest there but I went with lemmy for my standalone instance anyway because I’d like to get familiar with Rust.

• stephenc@waveform.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

PHP used to be my main language. When they started adding more advanced type features it interested me. Then I got bitten by the strong typing bug and started teaching myself Haskell. I didn’t end up getting very far, but now I strongly prefer strong and static typing.

I don’t dislike PHP, even now. If I wanted to use an interpreted language for a web project, I’d probably pick PHP. I sure like it better than Python, Ruby, and JS. I just don’t find myself wanting that kind of language anymore though.