• sarsaparilyptus@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The choice is playing on PC, because unless the game was designed by complete shitheads who decided they don’t need a settings menu, you’ll actually get a choice of what features you do or don’t enable. Console games should have PC-style settings menus, but they don’t. For me, buying a new PC game always involves chores: turning off chromatic aberration, depth of field, motion blur, and other nonsense so I can claw back like 45 additional FPS.

• Plume (She/Her)@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I no longer trust triple A games on PC and if the game is not ridiculously busted optimisation wise for PC at release I would be amazed.

• sarsaparilyptus@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Yeah that’s the other side of it for sure, it’s going to be a lazy port with ham-sized icons, grandma-approved giant text, and menus that can only be navigated with the arrow keys and spacebar.

Starfield on PC will probably be great after modders finish nhe game for them though. Sucks that the physics are almost certainly going to be tied to the 30fps framerate, hopefully SFSE (starfield script extender) is out not too long after launch

• djidane535@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s exactly why I mainly play on PC nowadays. I didn’t like PC gaming 10-15 years ago, but now I love being able to play at 4K60 / 1440p60 by downgrading settings I don’t care.

• Goronmon@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I mean sure but give us the choice, damn it! :(

Depends on what is causing the framerate issues. If it’s usual fidelity (resolution, draw distance, visual effects) then yes, they can provide options for those.

If the framerate issues are due to physics, NPC/interactions, state-management then it’s unlikely they could or would want to provide options around that type of limitation.

• Gert@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m kind of assuming it’s the latter, but if they have a decent amount of overhead, a 40fps uncapped mode would be a good option for VRR displays.