• Blackmist@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

It’s not really the ads on Google Search itself that break it.

It’s that almost every result is some automatically generated spam created entirely in response to Google’s algorithms. And it’s those pages that are covered in ads. Google broke the internet.

You can still get what you’re looking for, but I home in on results that look like forums or other actual user generated content. Didn’t even realise I was doing it tbh. I just mentally filter out most of the shit.

• shneancy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

yup, nowadays if you don’t add “@r*ddit” to a tech related search in google you’ll get 10 seemingly copy pasted results that look like “1. download our drivers updater :))) 2. if you don’t want to do that, just give up lol”

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Even the Microsoft pages are terrible.

Everything is a bot that gives you four paragraphs of text about how they’re a certified Microsoft Windows professional technician, but all they ever do is tell you to run sfc /scannow.

• Trarmp@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

It’s terrible for tech searches too; half of those results are copy-pasted from Stack Overflow. Though that goes for DDG as well.

• Xanis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Same here. I almost responded asking what the issue is when I realized I query Google Search with specific keywords and cheats, ignoring all the bs in the list. At some point I just adapted and didn’t notice.

Now that I think about it there have been a few times where I’ve had to struggle to find something, especially if it is medical related. Gotta give old Reddit this: It’s been around so long with so much activity that you can at least get pointed in the right direction by throwing it into a search and hitting enter.