• TinyPizza@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Keep drifting left and I’ve gotta say, that sweet sweet Libertarian Anarchism/Communalism seems pretty level headed to me. Vertical hierarchy inevitably leads to abuses/corruption and representative democracy infantilizes and negates the will of the people. Direct democracy and horizontal organizing structures keep everyone accountable and makes every voice heard. A world of contemporaries working towards our common goals sounds like the kind of thing you build a future (that’s not on fire) out of.

• argv_minus_one@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

representative democracy infantilizes … the will of the people.

The people keep voting for representatives like Donald Trump and Marjorie Greene, so I’m not sure that infantilization is unjustified.

• TinyPizza@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve battled with the idea that people as the whole perhaps can’t see the picture that others can, but lately I’ve come to see it differently. Both of those people you mentioned are products of a highly corrupt system nearing it’s later stages. People vote for them, or their opposites mostly due to a system of binary politic (red or blue) that is largely influenced beyond them and has been radicalized in an effort to establish brand difference and deflect from realistic policy agenda. It’s a system that often rewards some of the worst traits in leadership and then builds on the grift over successive cycles by moving expectations of what these representatives look like. Alternatively, something like Digital Direct Democracy would allow us to defuse so much of the pageantry and tension relatively quickly, because it let’s people have a greater say in their life’s direction from city to state and can remove so much of the negativity and vitriol that our modern politics uses to divide and conquer the lower-middle class. It’s when you remove the binary choice that people very well may take more initiative to educate themselves on the world and people around them. And maybe by lending a more nuanced vision to the rest of our country folk we can all have more of what we want, while increasing the liberties and rights of the individual in ways that no longer seemed possible.