• TheDoctorDonna@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Not just Finland. I see people on their bikes in -40°C in Canada. People just need reasons to not let go of their cars so they feel better about using 5 people worth of space and fuel to get to and from work.

• Guest_User@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

You’re really telling me you ride your bike to and from work in -40c regularly? How far do you commute daily? Why do you feel justified in acting so superior to others?

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

I walk because I can’t ride a bike and if I can’t walk because it is too icy, I transit 5 kms. But I don’t think myself superior, I used to be a car brain too. I bought in to the needing a car hype and that owning a car was freedom. I’m so much more free and stable now without car payments, insurance, car maintenance, outrageous fuel prices and cops following me just for driving 🤷‍♀️

• Guest_User@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

I too ride my bike when I can but I live over 60 kms from my office. Unfortunately there is also no real public transit for my commute. Driving a car is the only reasonable solution. I hate the situation I’m in and wish I didn’t have to spend as much as I do for all the things surrounding my little smart car. But still, you consider me a “car brain”. Get off your high horse and just be glad of your situation

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Rural commuters are different, you never asked about that.

Though if more people lived in urban areas it would solve a lot of problems when it comes to unnecessary commutes and anyone who chooses to live suburbanly and commute is a car brain, yes.

And you might not necessarily be one (though you never mentioned a bike or a “smart” car before) but anyone who makes excuses to continue bad habits is most definitely a car brain. People driving 5 people’s worth of space and fuel the 12 blocks it takes to get to work are most definitely car brains. The people in over sized trucks and SUVs when they really don’t need to are most definitely car brains. And people who make excuses for their bad behaviour…guess what? Car brains. I don’t care if you think I’m on a high horse. Better a horse than a car.