The AI boom is screwing over Gen Z | ChatGPT is commandeering the mundane tasks that young employees have relied on to advance their careers.::ChatGPT is commandeering the tasks that young employees rely on to advance their careers. That’s going to crush Gen Z’s career path.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Unfortunately international competition will prevent any country from enacting sane and effective regulation. The first country that moves to restrict AI development and implementation will quickly fall behind the other countries without restrictions.

The only thing that would really work would be a global agreement to limit development, but I can’t see that happening anytime soon, or nations like China, Iran, or India actually respecting such limits even if they were agreed upon.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The only thing that would really work would be a global agreement to limit development

Really? That’s the only thing? Or maybe just unemployment, something that’s been around for almost 100 years.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Or maybe just unemployment, something that’s been around for almost 100 years.

This might work after the AI systems have already become a major problem, and unemployment affects a large percentage of the population.

It won’t prevent AI systems from becoming a major problem in the first place.

I would much rather have the prevention than a cure.

• TwilightVulpine@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If enough people find themselves without a way to put food on the table, that country might find a sudden and severe obstacle to their economic prospects.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

The rich people who own and benefit from the AI systems and have control over the governments and major businesses will be the last ones to feel the economic impact. When (and if) they do they will simply move to another country that is not yet failing, because people in this group experience no national loyalty and feel no remorse for their exploitation. They will move on to another place that they can draw profit from until that is also burnt out.

By that point the AI systems will already be developed and implemented and it will be too late to establish any functional regulation.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Ok, I am talking about a way to avoid the world getting to the point of “If enough people find themselves without a way to put food on the table”. I want us to address the AI problem before countries find “sudden and severe” obstacles to their economic prospects.

How do we do that, if not by regulation? What can we talk about that leads to prevention?

We need to be proactive, not reactive.

• TwilightVulpine@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I agree, but that was my response to the likely attitude of the wealthy, businesses and their government supporters that you pointed out, who will oppose regulations.

They can’t expect to move out of the way forever as they make the living conditions of average people untenable everywhere. The people’s unrest has been constantly rising.