Looks like someone threw up a tracker checking on subreddit going dark. Live status looks interesting.

Edit: I’ve been watching this for a while now, can’t take my eyes off it. Looks like the next big block of subs is each hour mark with big one at mid-night PST (e.g., California). Gonna be fun 🤡

• Phobos@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So glad I don’t have to feel guilty opening the reddit app to take a peak now.

“3265/6472 subreddits are currently dark.”

• Skray@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

/r/PathofExile announced they’re locking themselves indefinitely. The mods have setup a Lemmy instance to replace the sub and are directing users there now.
    There are a handful of others going dark indefinitely as well.

• Skray@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I did originally create an account there, but it was when they announced it. I’d reccomend reaching out to Multiplicity on the PoE discord as he runs the PoE lemmy server.

You should be able to post directly there using your current account though, it should be federated with most lemmy instances and kbin.

• Syo@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Of course PoE players would min/max to the extreme. Never expected anything less. Big balls move.

• Skray@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’ll be interesting if it stays. I wouldn’t be surprised if the reddit admins force mods to reopen the subs, or just outright remove the offending mods.
        They have done that before. KotakuInAction was shut down once by it’s founder who didn’t like the direction of the sub and the admins removed the mod that did it and reopened the sub with a new head mod.

• Syan@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’d love to see Reddit try to replace 25K+ mods along with all their tools and bots. Not happening. The most they’ll do is whine about it, but I’m pretty sure even that won’t happen because their lawyers are definitely telling them to stfu right now.

Also this is my first comment (is it even called a comment on here? lol) on kbin after seeking refuge from Reddit, so hello kbin! Obligatory fuck u/spez.

• cthonctic@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I kind of love the selection of subreddits that are still available:
    /r/amitheasshole, /r/mildlyinfuriating, /r/therewasanattempt, /r/whatcouldgowrong, /r/publicfreakout, /r/quityourbullshit, among others

It paints such a lovely picture of the current situation! :D

• minorninth@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The fact that I’m enjoying this discussion means that I’m still addicted to something Reddit-like. I hope this or some other alternative really takes off in the next few days, otherwise I think many people will just reluctantly return to Reddit

• DarkThoughts@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve seen a lot of growth here, despite the ddos protection causing issue with syncing to other instances. So my migration plan will be to use kbin for all I can, especially discussions / being an active user, while using Reddit for topics that I don’t see have a good replacement yet (while checking frequently if that changes). The goal being to pull out of more and more subs on Reddit until I can just leave the entire thing behind. Maybe there will be the odd sub that will be lost / left behind, but that would be a minor price at the end of the day.

• Emu@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I hope kbin stops being a reddit monitoring site. Half my page is full of posts about reddit on non-related subs, and I don’t care about that platform anymore.