• Neuron@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Totally get the point and generally agree. To play devil’s advocate though, what about intellectual property and artistic works? Is that theoretically an infinite or near infinite good? Or at least an unending one. Also space! Maybe we can eventually become grey goo, consuming the entire galaxy to propagate more things to consume the entire galaxy. Fun!

• Neuron@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

In that case if the blocks aren’t physical or natural resources only the analogy starts to fall apart a bit, since you’d have to consider productivity and what we define as being more productive. The computer or plow or any of a number of innovation would have created blocks that weren’t there before. Hard to anticipate the future. I do think our definitions of growth, value and productivity are major issues. In the end the economy and society has to transition to growth being defined as progress toward true sustainability, or at least the closest thing to it that can be achieved on a finite world that will eventually end no matter what is done on am absurd enough time scale.

• Mercival@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Sadly we don’t have the luxury of “maybe eventually” when we have already been seeing our world dying for decades at an ever increasing pace.

It’s kinda like being on a slowly sinking ship and hoping eventually you’ll learn to fly, rather than getting into the bloody emergency vessel.

• Neuron@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You misunderstand me, I agree, just trying to generate discussion. I think the grey goo consuming the universe is the horrible hellish end result of infinite growth and a good argument that at some point moderation, priorities, and a “good enough” need to be declared. Also maybe thinking instead of growth about transformation, that innovation and newness doesn’t always have to mean ever increasing consumption. What “blocks” could be exchanged for other new and interesting “blocks” instead possibly. How could the blocks be better arranged?