• Flemmbrav@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Yeah I use Debian. (At least once a while when I decide to give it yet another shot…)

Edit: in case you are interested, I can give some extra details on that list, and how I fixed them or not. But all these fixes ain’t a thing I’d expect the median user to be able to figure.

• Tippon@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Out of curiosity, how long ago did these problems happen? I’ve been using Mint and Xubuntu for a while now, but had to use a few different troubleshooting distros to fix a Windows boot issue, and none of these came up. As these are Debian based distros, I’d expect the same problems to filter down.

The only thing I’ve had issues with lately is setting up a USB wifi adapter on a Raspberry Pi, but I’d expect some problems with that.

• Flemmbrav@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Around a year ago I fixed the bigger issues, but I started with Linux around 5 years ago. The WiFi issue has been around a month ago, but didn’t do a lot of troubleshooting outside of rebooting and browsing all wicd settings because well I was offline because of it. Didn’t visit that place again and at home there’s wifi on all bands as well as ethernet almost everywhere, so the issue doesn’t hurt me that much.

Booted into it today to see if things are better, ran the update/upgrade/reboot after and:

• Bluetooth seems to be better! It now connects to my headphones even when paired before. But now I fails a2dp even after forget/re-pair.
        • I had to start the system a couple of times before it actually did start, there’s been some issues finding thermal data of the cpu during startup. I’ll play around with it a bit these days, but sadly it did not magically just work.

Why would you expect issues with an external WiFi adapter for the RasPi?

• Tippon@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I wonder if it was an edge case that the Linux driver didn’t account for, like a minor incompatibility between the two devices.

You’ve just reminded me that I had a Bluetooth problem with my laptop a few years ago. My headset would connect and work properly, but wouldn’t be recognised after the laptop had either been to sleep or shut down. I had to go through the bluetooth device folder, something like /dev/bluetooth/, find the folder that corresponded with the headset’s address, and delete the cache folder inside. It would then work until the next sleep / shut down.

I expected problems with the Pi because USB wifi has always seemed to be a bit dodgy, even on Windows, and wifi is apparently still a problem area with Linux. Add to that the Pi’s limited distro, and I thought it was bound to go wrong.