New user, sorry for mistakes.

To put it simply, my college doesn’t block any websites for free speech and all that, and they don’t block piracy websites, such as AnimeKaizoku. But on the odd chance I’ll get a DMCA or a notice, the college will receive it as they manage the internet, and they’ll probably shit on me, someone before me (I think) got their WiFi revoked for a bit, which isn’t ideal for me.

So is there any chance of being DMCA’d downloading from websites like AnimeKaizoku?

And if there is a chance is there any way to avoid it?

Thanks!

TL;DR College internet doesn’t block DDL piracy websites, but if I get DMCA’d or get some kind of notice I’ll probably be shit on.

• aliens@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

A DDL (direct download) implies you are downloading it from a hosting site and storing it on your personal computer. A DMCA notice is sent when you are hosting the file and providing it to others.

Per https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/i-got-a-dmca-notice-now-what

“Copyright infringement has become so prevalent that sometimes you are not even aware that you are infringing on another person’s rights. Most of the time, copyright infringement is an innocent mistake—such as reposting an image on Instagram that you like and want to share. Other times, the infringement is intentional. Either way, if you infringe on someone else’s copyright, you will very likely receive a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notice.”

Further down the site

"Your next steps

Once you receive a DMCA notice—either directly or through your ISP—review and confirm the alleged copyright infringement listed on the takedown notice. If you can confirm that there is a copyright infringement, you should proceed with taking down the identified material."

This is the same reason you aren’t at risk to DMCA when using Usenet/IRC because other people are providing you the files or downloading (not uploading) from google drive shared files.

If you use torrenting (which implies you are seeding back to other people) or upload to google drive you can be at risk to receiving a DMCA takedown notice and then you’ll have to decide whether to fight it or delete it.

• WhiteOakBayou@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Because the studio would have to set up a honey pot site, host the files and get you to click on it. It’s so much easier to just sit in the swarm and spam letters to everyone else.

• UntouchedWagons@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If you use your own computer IT can see that you’re visiting the site and (probably) downloading a large file. If you use a school computer it’s highly likely they’ll have a proxy set up to let them see exactly what you’re downloading.

• Zebov@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Without a VPN, everyone will see exactly who is doing what. So get a VPN, and if you’re using a torrent program, set it up to require VPN - that way of something goes wrong and your VPN isn’t on, you won’t be downloading anything unprotected.

• nivenkos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This reminds me of when I was at university, and they had a download limit, but somehow it didn’t detect Usenet traffic so we all just switched to Usenet - this was in like 2009, not the 90s!

If you think they are monitoring traffic then use a VPN for sure. Then you can also happily torrent with it, etc. too.