I spent over 500 hours researching and writing this article. Those 500 hours were spent reading through dozens of books/studies in 10+ fields (history, economics, technology, philosophy of science, manufacturing, management, sociology, investing, innovation). I spent so much time because the topic was both much more interesting and complicated than I originally thought. And, as is the case with all of my writing on Medium, I use the blockbuster philosophy. This means I don’t click publish unless I think it is one of the best articles that has been written on the topic.

As a result of going through the research process, I will never think about productivity in the same way. What I learned blew my mind over and over, and I hope it does the same for you as the reader.

• FartsWithAnAccent@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Gee fucking whiz, who knew if you treated workers like shit and acted like a greedy dumpster fire of a human being it would have negative consequences!?

• speck@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Interesting article. The why of it and the why we should care stood out.

“Not redistributing the gains of productivity properly” seems to be at the top of many people’s minds nowadays and, at least, a major psychological roadblock to individual desire to enhance productivity.

Also, is there a place to question a way to decrease the need for further productivity? The best way to reduce landfills is not further technological breakthroughs, for instance, but upheaving a system that produces more goods than necessary