Would be cool if we can upload short videos to a peertube instance and embed them into posts rather than relying on reddit, YT, or Vimeo.

I use the browser versions of lemmy and it’s painful to see some posts link to these sites.

• CustodialTeapot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I despised Reddit videos…

It encouraged outrageous amounts of content theft.

Sure YouTube sucks. But stealing the content from it isn’t fair on the people who worked incredibly hard to make said content. One of the beast thing about Reddit og days was discovering amazing content creators from people sharing their videos directly from the source. And no, a sticky comment or comment from the “op”, sorry content theif, isn’t good enough. Just sharing the god damn origin of the original source. This also goes for music, news, images, etc. But also, if you don’t like being tracked, use non-tracking links or piped for YouTube etc…

Tldr, don’t steal content, don’t encourage stealing content. Support the content creators… Stop being lazy with posts and doom scrolling.

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I know the embedding thing isn’t implemented because of tracking etc, but dam is it really needed.

We should at least be able to embed videos from other fediverse sites.