• Move to lemm.ee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not just build up, but actual conflict.

Revolutionaries aren’t spontaneous creations. It takes decades of conflict between the population and the state to harden the people into what eventually becomes the revolutionary army.

Almost everybody here with their soft bodies and their soft minds is not capable of taking part in 6-48 months of revolutionary civil war tomorrow. You have to look at the conflicts of France over the last 10 years between its population and the state to understand what prolonged build up of radicals and radical forces looks like. Decades of a population actively doing battle with its state over various national things before ever reaching the point of “fuck it we ball”.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It feels that at this point, the ruling class has gotten so good at giving us just enough to keep us from outright revolution. It’s little bonuses here and there, it’s providing just enough to keep us afloat long enough to get through the next election, it’s information manipulation to have us arguing with each other rather than focusing our anger on them.

It’s going to be extremely difficult to break that control.

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Don’t forget the endless money spent on propaganda, convincing people that companies are good and everyone fighting for workers’ rights are evil, painting the latter as greedy and corrupt assholes with subversive intents

• ToastyWaffle@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Yeah this is the case for any revolution. I’ve been reading “The Constitution and other writings of the founding fathers” and it’s interesting to see all the rhetoric and mental preparation they took before firing even the first shot. The tension was palpable and the colonists were already resolved to fight a war they knew would not end quickly. Most notably over things we just bend over and take nowadays.

The average citizen today does not have the same sense of responsibility and duty to preserving freedom and democracy like they did back then. Sometimes I wonder if people in the west are too soft in resolve and dedication to really revolt in any meaningful capacity, beyond a few days of protesting. No matter what the issue/ideology at hand is.

• mayo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s true but I wonder if it translates to modern times.

I should learn about the Arab Spring…