I call it the Smokey Canadian Old Fashioned. Not sure if it’s already a standard recipe with a different name.

It’s similar to an old fashioned, but with a few minor changes. Start with maple syrup, about 1/4 oz. or roughly 1/2 tbsp (I think that’s the conversion, off the top of my head). Add 1-2 drops of liquid smoke. Then add about 2 dashes of bitters. I like Dillon’s orange bitters, which I believe is Canadian. Stir. Add ice, and about 2 oz. Canadian rye whisky.

This might be blasphemous for some, but I happen to love it, and my dad made a great one for me. I think he used Wiser’s 10 year old triple barrel if anyone is curious.

• raoulraoul@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Normally, I’d wholeheartedly agree but the whole maple syrup/Canadian rye/Canadian bitters keeps in theme. 🍁 Maybe float a slice of back bacon on top…never mind.

• Nasom@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Have you tried a Manhattan? It’s similar but I find it smoother.

• cod@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I actually haven’t. Every time I go out and want a whisky cocktail, I default to an old fashioned, and I don’t have any vermouth to make it at home. Maybe I’ll try it during the holidays. I usually go with Baileys hot chocolate, old fashioned, and spiced rum mixed with whatever I’m feeling during Christmas, but I’m open to trying new things and the Manhattan is similar to an old fashioned anyway, from what I’ve heard. Thanks for the suggestion