• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

That’s not why people are feeling pessimistic. Too much of the economic recovery is going to corporate profits and capitalist shareholders. The federal minimum wage is still half of a poverty wage, and the rent is still too damn high. The hyperinflation of the pandemic has made working for a living unsustainable. Taking inflation from 9% to 3% is great (setting aside for this conversation that any President shouldn’t really take credit for economic matters) but it’s reduce the rate at which a bad thing is getting worse. Existence is still unaffordable even with everybody employed. That’s not spin, that’s just the reality we’ve all been living in for a long time. The twin disasters of Trump and the pandemic put it all in stark relief, laying bare the grift of conservativism.

Biden is struggling because he’s trying to play old politics. We’ve crossed the rubicon. Going back to normal isn’t enough for people to feel hopeful, and reducing the rate of collapse isn’t leadership. Biden thinks being at the helm while the ship slowly rights itself is the same as leadership, and there are enough people attacking him from the extreme other side that nobody is particularly happy with him.

• BossDj@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s not why people are feeling pessimistic

Everything you said is absolutely true and I agree with what is and should be happening.

However, the article is saying that surveyed people think the economy is crashing and unemployment is high.

I think it’s fair for Biden to say, “hey, you fuckers keep telling me you want capitalism. This is what capitalism looks like. This is success in capitalism. It’s up to the unions at this point in a capitalist system.”

Even though like you said it isn’t working. But not for the reasons why media makes it seem, which is what turns people to the right thinking that more extreme capitalism and deregulation will fix it!