• shinjiikarus@mylem.eu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not really surprising. All corporate social media follows an initial trend, which steeply drops off after the first few days/weeks. Doesn’t mean Threads is doomed or anything.

Twitter wasn’t really “popular”, especially outside the US (and Japan, if I remember correctly), no matter how much so called “journalists” amplified its content. Even the most favorable estimates (which will be completely wrong, considering how many sock puppets and bots there are on any given platform), put Twitter’s MAU at a quarter of Instagrams’, which itself isn’t even the biggest social network. This speaks volumes to how interested the general population is in a text-first social network, compared to an image centric one.

Instagram’s large user base and the exclusivity/scarcity narrative, which is customary for new social networks forever (Threads was touted as so evil, it was banned in the EU! This was definitely not meant as a cautionary tale but felt very gimmicky to me) will have helped Threads acquire a lot of curious Instagram users, who quickly lost interest in a wall of uninteresting text and returned to their algorithmically presented pictures.

I believe a lot of engagement on Twitter to be completely fake, crediting it in part to bots and in part to an outrage fueling algorithm. When a lot of famous Twitter users migrated to Mastodon a few months back, the first thing they noted has been the much lower engagement, partially due to the smaller user base, but also due to much less bots. A lot of them are still looking for a new home, but cannot get rid of the dopamine hits of a “viral” twitter post and Zucc might just have the stuff for them.

Threads will stay around and probably split or assimilate the negligible small user base of Twitter in time, while truly federated platforms like Mastodon or Lemmy will have trouble on boarding (and retaining) comparable user groups, since they are missing the outrage farming algorithm and the fake engagement.

• shinjiikarus@mylem.eu
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I believe the current audience on Mastodon doesn’t cater as much to outrage farmers, C-list celebrities and crypto bros and is more interested in real conversation about interesting topics. Therefore infosec people (one example) haven’t seen a noticeable dip.

• OutrageousUmpire@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think this was expected. Big hype then a fall in usage to the “real” level of regular users. I’m expecting a slow but steady ramp up in Thread usage over months or years. With spikes for PR stunts like getting big name celebs to exclusively use the platform.

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s expected, and that’s still like 50 million people. The app is still pretty undercooked and there’s very little reason to use it over Twitter from a technical point of view.