sorry i got my rhetoric ™️ wrong last time i am just attempting to illustrate the thesis of Tolerance is not a moral precept by Yonatan Zunger so check that out if ur curious thanks babes <3

[Tolerance] is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Pretending that you can’t specifically outlaw explicitly violent and hateful bigotry without someone else outlawing your own peaceful ideology is the mother of all slippery slope fallacies and is almost exclusively trotted out by people who agree with a lot of the ideology of the bigots.

There’s nobody forcing us to go down any “bad path” just because we protect minorities from extremists. Just like there’s NOT always two valid sides to an issue (see for example flat earthers, young earth creationists and other science deniers), you don’t have to ban democracy in order to ban fascism.

• Melpomene@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

People conflate “ban bad actions” and “ban speech” when discussing tolerance; separating those is important. We should ABSOLUTELY ban violence and refuse to acknowledge laws and systems that advocate for those things. We should be both vocal and active in our rejections.

Speech is a separate issue. As stupid as antivaxxers are, as hateful as TERFs are, I don’t want government telling them they can’t speak. Any law we pass, we should ask ourselves how it might be abused by a bad actor. Better, at least to me, is to out and ruin anyone who expresses hateful, bigoted views.

• Kit Sorens@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

To be clear, free speech does NOT protect from social consequence. Let them speak. Let them be ostracized, ridiculed, and demeaned for their hateful speech. Use your own free speech to ensure there are 10 voices of reason for every “loving” Christofacist telling them exactly what we took our stance for in 1865 and 1944. All humans are equal. All humans deserve life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness and every soapbox is at once a platform and a social noose.

• Melpomene@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

100% agree, and this is where I come out. Speak your mind as a fascist and get wrecked with social censure.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

violent and hateful acts of bigotry are outlawed and have been for quite a while

Someone hasn’t been paying attention to all the laws deliberately victimising and discriminating against racial minorities, LGBTQ+ people, poor people, unemployed people and all immigrants (not just the undocumented ones) coming out of Congress, the white house and the states for the last 250 or so years 🙄

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve argued with terfs about the stupidest of misconceptions, I’d probably buy a house…

• Jack Riddle@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

You cannot have equality for everyone if you allow intolerance to exist. You have to be intolerant to the intolerant in order to preserve a tolerant society.

• Solar Bear@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

but stop at equality for everyone, not suppression of those you may disagree with

Equality for everyone requires the suppression of those who would take away that equality, otherwise you eventually lose equality for everyone. This is similar to how maximizing freedom for everyone requires restricting your individual freedom to harm others, because in doing so you remove their freedoms. Your individual freedom is less, but the total amount of freedom in the system is greater for it.

Furthermore, it is not a moral failing, or even a difficult moral quandary, to suppress people for their actions and choices. We do it all the time to murderers and other criminals, or even people who don’t shower. This can be done in multiple ways, including ways that do not involve state power. We frequently use social means to suppress people, for good or bad. A society simply works that way. And if they don’t like it, they can simply choose to stop trying to take away equality; I cannot similarly choose to stop being the kind of person they want to take equality away from.

To protect equality we must win every fight; to lose it, they need only win once. Everybody is protected by equality so long as they believe in it. I do not believe that those who do not believe in equality should be extended its benefits, for they will seek to destroy it from within like a parasite.

• Now hold on. Nobody said not tolerating meant suppressing. It means opposing.

That… that’s bigot rhetoric, and is full circle to the issue here. “You can’t call me out for using the N word because MAH FREE SPEACH”

I agree with you about free speech – and I would also argue that it extends to forums wanting freedom to choose what they contain.

There’s always other forums. Private forums controlling their content isn’t silencing. That’s not how it works.

• You’re trying to tie a different issue to the discussion here and it’s simply non sequitur.

We’re not talking about restricting speech at a legal level, we’re talking about opposing bad speech with good speech or by cultivating private fora where good speech is encouraged and bad speech discouraged.

You literally jumped down the pitfall of the rhetoric of the bigoted folks that I alluded to. Excellent aim, wrong target.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

That is equally vague. What constitutes harm?

Any action or inaction that physically, financially, or mentally damages another human being through malice or negligence.

who defines what harm is?

In a democracy? The people.

Belief happens in the mind. We don’t want to go down the road or thought crimes.

If you believe hurting a group of people, for any reason, is righteous you’re more likely to commit crimes against that group. If we’re going to start talking about slippery slopes, let’s talk about the slippery slope of allowing hate to take root and spread in any society and how that’s turned out in the past.

• hungryphrog@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

BuT dIsAgReEiNg WiTh HuMaN rIgHtS iS jUsT aN oPiNiOn, So YoU aReN’t AlLoWeD tO bE mEaN tO fAsCiStS wHo ArE aDvOcAtInG fOr A fUcKiNg GeNoCiDe!1!

• im stuff@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

my first exposure to the paradox its ambiguity was being used as an excuse to platform literal nazis on the basis of “being mean makes you the oppressor ☹️☹️☹️”

i for one welcome a philosophy that is more concrete and specific and doesn’t allow for such openings. tolerance as a contract does that for me. though as this comment section shows trying to express this position gets you labeled as maga so huge L for me i guess.

• ImplyingImplications@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Interestingly enough, international waters work by a similar concept. A lot of people think no laws apply in international waters, but that’s not the case. Anyone sailing there picks a country whose laws they will follow.

But what happens if you don’t pick a flag and just decide you’re not going to follow any laws?? Well then you’re not protected by any laws either. Your ship can be sunk or seized by anyone and there isn’t anything you can do about it because you decided you wanted to exist outside of any laws.

Tolerance works a bit like that. If someone choses to live outside of tolerance and just do what they want to others, then they forfeit their right to be protected by tolerance.

• CurseBunny [she/her]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The side of intolerance will never extend you the courtesy of peaceful co-existence that you try to extend to them. If you give them a hand they’ll take an arm. Give them the chance to talk and they’ll take away your right to speak. You fundamentally can’t make peace with someone who wants nothing more than to see you disappear.

• Dodecahedron December@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This sounds like some “trump being president is what the left gets gor being woke” bs. When we tolerate the people who want to obliterate other people, we find ourselves among the obliterated.

• bl_r@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Tolerance as a contract feels like the logical conclusion to the paradox of tolerance