Wondering how much of the Lemmy user base wouldn’t use an adblocker. If you do use one what other blocking do you use to circumvent data collection, YouTube and reddit front ends and things alike?

• 7355608@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I asked a friend of mine about this recently and she told me it was because it helps her kids learn patience.

That got me thinking about it, I personally learned a rather large amount of patience because of ads when I was growing up so it made a lot of sense to me.

• LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Ads teach people patience? That is the worst justification for ads I’ve ever heard. She’s probably in the advertisement industry so she’s pro-ads.

or she’s not computer literate enough to install ad blockers and too proud to admit her lack of computer literacy.

• Tja@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Holy shit, this is worse than reddit lately. You read an anecdote about a lady, made up her whole life and got angry about what you just made up. Fucking hell.

• focusforte@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

No, they have a point. In hindsight, I definitely can see how the unskipable ads of cable TV resulted in a greater deal of patience. I’d be interested to see a more academic study of it, but anecdotally I definitely can see it.

• Piemanding@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

As long as she doesn’t buy anything they ask for that is coming from ads and tells them that the products advertised are probably the worst of their kind I would be okay with it.